Featured Post

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

SECOND CHANCES

SECOND CHANCES

I am sitting here on my chaise with my knee wrapped in ice and a perfectly ugly scar on my kneecap watching every single Hallmark Christmas movie.  They are a lovely departure from the Law and Order Marathons or, need I say, the endless football games.  While their themes are similar; Christmas is very special, it’s worth the efforts that go into it, it’s about family, related by blood or not, and about second chances.  As I realized this, it occurred to me that the most wonderful thing about our God is that he is a God of second chances.

I going to write something here, which will seem heretical, but I have talked to God about it often and He is not stopping me. I have always been troubled, well if I’m honest, doubtful of the story of Adam and Eve.  According to the writer of Genesis, God created Adam and Eve and gave them everything. Told them not to eat the fruit of a certain tree. They, being human, allowed themselves to be tempted and disobeyed.   According to the writer, God then banished them into the world we live in with all its trials and tribulations.  To me it feels like they were set up to fail. Here’s my problem.  The God I love, worship and obey is the same God who forgave David, over and over again for a lot more than mere disobedience.  The God who came himself to prove his endless patience, forgiveness and understanding and reinforced that by sharing the experience of death.  My God gives second chances.
Where would I be if I thought otherwise?  I believe that if Judas had not succumbed to despair and taken his own life, Jesus would have forgiven him.  As a matter of fact, how do I know that didn’t already happen?  The idea that God is so intractable that you are out with only one strike on you is part of the reason so many stay away from God.  It’s not rational to think that God changed over time and became more compassionate. because it is the eternal, steadfast, unchanging, and loving nature of God, which gives us hope in this world.  Without that assurance, we would surely perish. 

In hopes you will always trust in the steadfast God,
I ask His blessings on you all.

Carol Lemelin OPA



No comments:

Post a Comment