Featured Post

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

COMPLACENT MUCH?

COMPLACENT MUCH?

“I tell you, in the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over the ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance” Lk 5:7

For most of my life I assumed that I was one of the 99.  I used to think, like the brother of the Prodigal son, that the big fuss made over the repentant while the steadfast were ignored was grossly unfair. Then about 25 years ago, while on my quest to know God better, a light bulb went on and I realized something really important; who ever said I was one of the 99?  Think of it, 99 who do not need repentance means 99 who do not sin.  As far as I know there have been only 2 people ever, who fit that definition.  I certainly don’t belong in that company. None of us do. Just by thinking that we do takes us out of the running. 

“Some seed fell on rich soil and produced fruit.”  MK 4:8

On the other hand, we have a chance of being the rich soil upon which the seed of the Good News falls.  This is something we have some control over.  Being the rich soil is not a passive thing but something we should develop.  The question is how?  First decide to do it. Then set out to know Jesus better.  Read his words with an open mind and try to discern his true meaning.  Question the translated words.  Sometimes they just don’t make any sense.  With all the things Google available to us, there is no excuse for not trying to find answers.  Jesus referred to those who listen to my word and keep it.  We want that to be us.  The words of Jesus are precious and hold the fate of the world.  We are not hearing about Jesus for the first time, but it has been easy to just coast and let the words go in one ear and out the other.  After all, we’ve heard them often enough, but these words have eternal life, and the only way they can grow in us is if we listen and read with new insight.  Next thing you know the seed will bear fruit.

Blessings,
Carol Lemelin OPA



No comments:

Post a Comment