Featured Post

Thursday, November 15, 2018

NOTHING LEFT

NOTHING LEFT

Elijah saw a woman near the city gate and asked her to bring him some water and some bread.  She said she could not comply because all she had left was a bit of flour and oil to feed herself and her child and when that was eaten, they would die of starvation.  (1Kgs 17:10-16)

It is difficult for us who live in plenty to imagine a point where there is literally nothing left, but then came the wildfires in California, fires, in which an entire town was burned to the ground in a matter of minutes.  We all stare at the photos uncomprehending.  Imagine what it is like for the citizens of that town!  There is nothing left. 

A while ago there was a commercial depicting what it feels like to have your car stolen.  A man steps out of his office to the place where he parked his car and there is nothing left but a gaping black hole.  I thought that ad was perfect because that was how it was for me. Hardly anyone escapes this life without at least one moment like that and usually there are more.   A dream is crushed.  Someone you love and need has died.  A lifelong friendship is ruined.  You undergo discrimination, or any of a dozen things that leave you facing that black hole. 

To know, not just believe, but to know that God is at your side is often the one thing that keeps you from jumping into that black hole.   When my second child was born I was alone and due to circumstances beyond my control he was born at home.  At the time I said to God, “I assume you’re going to help me with this, because this is not my idea!”  I repeated that exact phrase when my husband died.  When my son died, however, I said, “I know you are going to help me with this.”  My assurance of that came from my experience of the all-encompassing love of God.  I’ve asked people how they know that God is with them.  The answer is usually the same, “I just know.”

They make it sound easy and actually it is.  It is a simple matter of opening yourself to God. Don’t be afraid.  You have no secrets from God. He knows where you’re coming from and he understands. Acknowledge your dependence on his mercy and give your fears and anxieties to him.  Jesus said, “Come to me all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy and my burden light.” (Matt 11:26)

Like your favorite pillow or comforter, let yourself be embraced by Jesus. Rest your head upon his heart and find peace. The black holes fill up and the way ahead is smoothed out. 


Blessings and peace, 
Carol Lemelin OPA

No comments:

Post a Comment