Featured Post

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

WHAT MORE CAN I DO?

AUGUST 19, 2015

WHAT MORE CAN I DO?

            The day after my husband died, my sons and I went to Staples to buy the poster boards, glue sticks, etc. for the Photo array which seems to have become de rigeur for funerals these days.  While we there my son said, “I think this will change how I see people in stores for the rest of my life.  You never know what people are going through even as they are doing mundane things like this.  This is the worst day of my life and I’m in Staples!”
            I thought of this as I read Matthew 19: 16-22 where the young man asks Jesus what more he should be doing to find favor with God.  Jesus told him,  “Come, follow me.” Now the young man had said that he obeyed the Commandments, gave to the poor and did all the things an honorable person should do.  But Jesus responded, ”Come follow me”.  Well, isn’t that what the young man was doing?  Aren’t the commandments and good works all that is needed to live a life in Christ?   
            Not according to Jesus. A life lived in Christ requires us to see each human being as just that, a human being exactly like ourselves and to act accordingly.  Wars, civil strife and crime all have one thing in common.  It is required that we dehumanize one another in order to kill.  Many years ago, John Donne wrote, “Every man’s death diminishes me”. That is a true statement.  We are all alive on this planet; all the creations of God, bound by our common origins and connected intimately with one another. 
            So how do we go about this?  Does this require heroic effort?  Not really.
It is pretty simple.  Give up the grudge, forget past hurts, forgive, ask forgiveness, blow the horn less, be patient, genuinely look at people as you go about your life and remember that you don’t know anything about anybody’s true life so you have no right to judge.  In every situation if you listen you can hear Jesus say, “Follow me”. 

With love, Carol
           





No comments:

Post a Comment