Featured Post

Thursday, April 27, 2017

THE SPIRIT


THE SPIRIT

“God does not ration his gift of the spirit” (Jn 3:34)

The artists of the world have, unfortunately, framed our image of the Holy Spirit.  Jesus told the disciples to await the descent of the Paraclete, which translates to advocate, or intercessor.   Sadly, some people think the word is parakeet.  The images of a Dove with rays coming from its wings is a popular one, and might actually contribute to the error, but the almighty power of the Spirit is diminished by such a description.

In the book, The Shack, by Paul Young, the spirit is called Sarayu (wind). Sarayu captures perfectly the quality of free movement, constant activity and omnipresence of the Spirit of God.   This characterization has been described as the best depiction of the Spirit ever written.  I can’t disagree.

God does not ration his gift of the spirit

The spirit of God is at work throughout the world every second of every day, unrestrained and undeterred.   The sudden urges to help someone, the true spirit of forgiveness that arises in a grudge-filled heart, the continuing hope despite circumstances that people feel, are all the work of the Spirit.  Things we describe as miracles, such as a change of heart or a sudden true conversion, are the Spirit working within our spirits.

I don’t write these articles, the Spirit does.  I do the typing; the Spirit has the ideas. When I finish one, I go away from it and wait. A change of word here, a phrase there pop into my head and I obey.  Believe me, there was a time in my life, if anyone had said this to me, I would have thought they were nuts.  I know better now.

The Spirit is your best friend.  Unlike human friends, the Spirit will never abandon you to your own devices.  Whatever you face, call on the Spirit and wait.  That is the secret.  Wait, trust, believe and the road will smooth out before you.  It takes practice, but it is worth it and it brings the peace promised by Jesus.

God does not ration his gift of the spirit. 

Blessings on you all,

Carol Lemelin, OPA

No comments:

Post a Comment