Featured Post

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Following Moses

FOLLOWING IN MOSES’ FOOTSTEPS


I don’t think there is anyone more put-upon in scripture than Moses. Even Job has to take a back seat.  From the day he heard God’s command to free his people from slavery, Moses faced danger and resistance, enemies within and without.  The most difficult had to be the constant whining, scolding, disobedience and ingratitude of the people for whom he had dedicated his life.  Finally, in the book of Numbers (11:4b-15) Moses cried out his frustration by saying something we often hear in our own time.  “Just kill me now. ” Who would guess that Moses would be the first person quoted as saying that?  God declined, however, and ordered Moses to persevere. "Why are you crying out to me?  Tell the children of Israel to go forward.”

Finally, as recorded in Deuteronomy, the life of Moses comes to an end.   It is the common interpretation that he had been denied seeing the Promised Land as a punishment for having doubted God at some point.  I disagree totally.   I think it was a reward.  I think God said to Moses,

“You did it, Moses.  You got them this far.  You obeyed me and I thank you. You’ve suffered enough punishment from them. We’ll let Joshua take over.  Now come home to me and rest.”

As I was planning to draw a comparison between Moses and ourselves, I read a letter from the Dominican Sisters of Erbil-Iraq. Driven from their homes by ISIS in 2014 because of the betrayal of their neighbors, they are now attempting to rebuild from the horrible devastation they found when they returned.  Their words struck me to the heart; “It wasn’t weapons that caused the damage but hate. Only God knows how much love we need to heal these deep wounds. Inspired by the Biblical Characters, we believe that God will raise us again in a new way.”

What can I possibly add?  From the Exodus to ISIS, the people of God lean on Him and soldier on doing His will.  We have an obligation to follow their example and trust that He is with us and will not leave. Trust that you are not alone and never be tempted to say “Just kill me now.” Instead, always and forever say, “I will go forward so that Thy Will may be done.”

Blessings,
Carol Lemelin OPA








No comments:

Post a Comment