Featured Post

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

CONFESSION

CONFESSION 

Last week the theme was about living our lives they way Jesus lived his. His was a life of compassion, understanding and acceptance of other people.  He saw through their weaknesses to the vulnerable person underneath. Turns out that is a very lofty goal. I must confess that is really hard! It’s like learning to play the piano – it’s going to take a lot of practice!

You know that person who seems to enjoy making you feel uncomfortable? Well, I met him a couple of days ago.  That’s when my efforts to imitate Jesus fell by the wayside.  I left feeling so disappointed in myself.  I resolved to do better next time but I have to say, I almost hope the next time doesn’t come.  

The only solace I had was that this was just as difficult for the Apostles and yet they managed to achieve it.  St. Paul often refers mysteriously to the thing that plagued him. Could it have been a simple as that?  Paul was very confident; some would say too confident, a person.  I doubt he miraculously became a humble self-effacing person overnight.  Likely he had to practice a lot and failed regularly.  That got me to thinking.  Is it God’s plan for us?  Surely he understands how our egos get in the way.
So when we fail, as I did, we feel regret and promise to do better next time. What is that but practice? Just like playing the piano, you have to make a lot of mistakes before you master the art. 

When you come right down to it, when Jesus interacted with anyone, it was always about making them feel acknowledged and loved.  Beginners as we are in this endeavor, we can start with the acknowledging part.  There have been times when I was deliberately ignored and I never forgot the person who did it.  The only saving grace is that I pledged never to do it to anyone myself. 

This is about God and what he expects from us as regards his creations.  We have to start by admitting we have no idea what has gone into making a person who they are.   What Tolstoy said about families is just as true for individuals.
All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”

People, who are rude, mean, dismissive or any of the things that make them so unattractive and/or unlovable are not happy.  They do not enjoy the peace we do knowing that Jesus is with us.  Our responses have to be kindness, patience, a smile and a silent prayer for them.  Think of it like the scales one has to learn to play a musical instrument.  Like the old joke that asks, “How do you get to Carnegie Hall?”
The answer is “Practice, man, practice!”  The same is true for us as we strive to imitate Jesus. 

Blessings as you keep practicing, 
Carol Lemelin OPA





No comments:

Post a Comment